In the first year of Zhizheng (A.D.1341), Yuan Dynasty, Guanghua Monastery was destroyed by war. It was not until the period between Hongwu and Yongle of the Ming Dynasty (A.D. 1368-1424) that it was rebuilt to recover its previous prosperity. In 1562 Guanghua Monastery was invaded and once again ravaged by fire. During the second half of the sixteenth century, the monastery underwent subsequent structural changes and reconstruction.
In the 31st year of the reign of the Emperor Kangxi(A.D.1692), Qing Dynasty, the Commander Wang Wanxiang donated his salary for renovation and expanded Guanghua Monastery by merging it with Fahai Monastery and the Small Nan Shan Cloister after realizing the Guanghua Monastary was still in need of repair. This good deed along with others was inscribed on a stele. However, afterwards the Monastery fell into disrepair and declined over the following years. By A.D.1886, the 12th Year of the reign of Guangxu, Qing Dynasty, nothing but the Avalokitesvara Pavilion survived and only 2 monks resided in Guanghua Monastery.
In 1890, the 16th Year of the reign of Guangxu, Master Shanhe presided over the Guanghua Monastery and resolved to rebuild the ancient Monastery. After gradually collecting funds from a variety of sources, the Jeweled Hall of the Great Heroes, Parlour, Mediation Abode, Abbot¡¯s Room and Brahma-carya Hall were all rebuilt, thus creating the Guanghua Monastery that we know today. In 1910, Emperor Xuantong bestowed more than 7,000 rolls of Dragon Sutra upon Guanghua Monastery, for which Master Benru built additional Sutra Pavilion on the Dharma Hall. In 1933, Avalokitesvara Pavilion and Heavenly King Palace were also rebuilt.